Back to Sewing: Changing a Failure into a Success


A great outfit for a great ballet: Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty, A Gothic Fairy Tale.
I made this dress and shirt a year ago, November 2012. It is a pattern from Gertie’s Book for Better Sewing: Wintertime Jumper.

I wore it to my husband’s play on the night his parents attended which also happened to be my birthday. I felt fabulous.
A few weeks later, I attended PatternReview’s anniversary party and another blogger posted my picture. It wasn’t until then that I realized the fit was HORRIBLE!!!

Gugh. I’m almost too embarrassed to post this. But, there it is. After seeing the picture back in 2012, I labeled the dress as needing some major revision. A few weeks ago I pulled it out from deep in my closet and started making some adjustments: several inches off the shoulders and 5/8″ off both side seams of the top. I also changed the Sewaholic Renfrew cowl top to the scoop neck. I used some thread on the left and right of scoop to gather the T shirt neckline below the neckline of the dress. Overall, I really love all my improvements and I can’t wait to wear it again.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s